Venue: Room 10
Contact: Mrs KM Howard 01744 67(6106)
Apologies for Absence
An apology for absence was received from Reverend D Hall.
* Resolved that the minutes of the meeting held on 20 March 2017, be approved and signed.
Declaration of Interest from Members
No Declarations of Interest from Members were made.
A report was submitted which updated the Overview and Scrutiny Commission on Key Decisions that the Cabinet expected to make.
The Public Notice of Key Decisions published on 21 March 2017 was attached at Appendix 1 to the report which informed the Overview and Scrutiny Commission that there were no key decisions due to be made at Cabinet on 26 April 2017.
Resolved that the report be noted.
Councillor J Johnson here entered the meeting.
Councillor McQuade entered the meeting during discussion on the following item.
· Cabinet Member for Liverpool City Region Engagement, Cllr Burns has been invited to attend the meeting.
The Cabinet Member for Liverpool City Region Engagement and Head of Governance/City Region Liaison were present at the meeting to give Members an update on the LCRCA and Various Work Streams.
A presentation was given to the Overview and
Scrutiny Commission, detailing the following:
· Combined Authority, Mayor and Devolution;
· Economic Development;
· Employment and Skills;
· Housing, Spatial Planning and Europe;
· Single Investment Fund;
· Health and Adult Social Care;
· Children and Young People;
· Public Service Reform; and
The Commission raised questions with regards to
the role of the City Region in relation to Post 16 Education, the
Northern Power House agenda, apprenticeships, the impact of the
City Region on adoption relationships already established with the
WWish adoption service, on St Helens
input with regards to transport connectivity, growth hubs and
housing and spatial planning and if the Council’s Local Plan
would be affected by the City Regions Housing Land Availability
The Overview and Scrutiny Commission noted that Councillor Burns would update to Members on City Region Liaison with further information with regards to the issues raised by Members.
* Resolved that:
the report be noted;
Councillor Burns and
Head of Governance/City Region
the Post 16 Education Review as
published January 2017be circulated to the Commission;
further detailed information be provided
on the Public Service Reform as referred to within the
Councillor Burns and McQuade here left the meeting.
Scrutiny Review of ASB
and the Private Rented Sector
Scrutiny Review of Children’s Food Provision during School Holidays
A draft report was
submitted and outlined by Councillor Neal, Chairman of the Task and
Finish Group which informed the Overview and Scrutiny Commission of
the Scrutiny Review of Children’s Food Provision during
(2) the final reports be submitted to Cabinet.
Councillor Bond presented the referral from Environment, Regeneration, Housing, Culture and Leisure Scrutiny Panel.
At a meeting of this Panel held on 8 March 2017 the Panel considered an update report on Ruskin Drive Sports Facilities Development.
this meeting, it was reported that lessons had been learnt from the
problems which had been experienced with the Ruskin development and
the Strategic Director, Environmental and Trading Services,
presented a number of measures to help prevent this happening in
(1) major capital schemes be allocated a project sponsor
at Assistant Director/Director level;
(2) identification of risks in projects be highlighted
prior to commencement of any project and cash limits be stated on
all identified risks;
a sensitivity analysis be undertaken at
the outset of a project; and
(4) reporting back to scrutiny be an integral part of the project management of major schemes so that Members are kept informed of progress and potential problems throughout the duration of the project.
The Commission discussed the report.
* Resolved that the measures recommended by the Environment, Regeneration, Housing, Culture and Leisure Overview and Scrutiny Panel, as detailed above, be submitted to Cabinet for adoption.
Update on Scrutiny Work Programme 2016/17
A verbal report updating the Overview and Scrutiny Commission on the Scrutiny work Programme 2016/17 was given to the Commission.
The Overview and Scrutiny Commission were encouraged to review the Work Programme on a regular basis to ensure it remained timely and relevant.
An update on the Work Programme was outlined by the respective Chairs of the Overview and Scrutiny Panels, Members of the Task and Finish Groups and Scrutiny Manager.
* Resolved that the verbal update be noted.
Regular progress update: Transformation Board
In the absence of an update from the Transformation Board, Councillor Pritchard gave Members an overview on his experience of the Transformation Board.
* Resolved that the verbal report be noted.
Liverpool City Region Combined Authority (LCRCA)
The Chair informed Members that there was nothing to report with regards to the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority (LCRCA) Scrutiny Committee.
* Resolved that the verbal report be noted.