Venue: Room 10 - Town Hall
Contact: Mrs KM Howard 01744 67(6106)
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Fulham, J Johnson, Jones, Lynch and McQuade and Mr C Williams.
* Resolved that the minutes of the meeting held on 4 June 2018, be approved and signed.
Declaration of Interest from Members
No Declarations of Interest from Members were made.
St Helens Cares Update
· The Strategic Director People's Services / Clinical Accountable Officer, Sarah O’Brien has been invited to attend the meeting.
The Strategic Director People's Services & Clinical Accountable Officer gave a presentation on the work on St Helens Cares during which, she informed the Commission of the Municipal Journal Achievement Award recently won for the St Helens Cares system.
The presentation detailed the following:-
· Aim of Presentation;
· Borough Strategy;
· Borough Strategy Next Steps;
· St Helens Cares Localities;
· Locality Model;
· What it will mean for residents?
· What will it mean for staff and community groups?
· What will it mean for the Borough? and
Members asked questions which were answered at the meeting in relation to; learning from the Manchester City Region, working with the Liverpool City Region, if there was an improving picture on the initially identified £80m deficit, if there was an anticipated impact on jobs security and safeguarding of the financial investments made into St Helens Cares.
(2) Strategic Director People's Services & Clinical Accountable Officer be thanked for her attendance at the meeting.
A report was submitted which updated the Overview and Scrutiny Commission on Key Decisions that the Cabinet expected to make.
The Public Notice of Key Decisions, published on 19 June 2018, informed the Overview and Scrutiny Commission that there were no key decisions due to be made at Cabinet on 18 July 2018.
* Resolved that the report be noted.
draft report was submitted and presented by the Chairman of the
Overview and Scrutiny Commission, which sought approval for the
Overview and Scrutiny Annual Report 2017/18.
In accordance with the Council’s Constitution, the Overview and Scrutiny
Commission must report annually to Council on its working and
that of its Panels in 2017/18, and make recommendations for further
Work Programmes and amended work methods, if appropriate.
(1) the Overview and Scrutiny Annual Report 2017 - 2018
be approved; and
(2) the report be submitted to the next meeting of Council.
report was submitted and outlined by the Scrutiny Manager which
updated Members on the Scrutiny Work Programme 2018/2019.
report detailed the results of consultation undertaken to assist
Members in their selection of topic areas for inclusion in the Work
Work Programme had been developed by taking into account:
· Corporate priorities and objectives, including the Cabinet’s Key Decisions;
· Partnership strategic priorities and objectives; and
· The interests and concerns of Members, Council Officers, members of the public and other stakeholders such as community and voluntary groups and local businesses
The Overview and Scrutiny Commission was requested to examine a list of suggested topics which had been submitted for possible inclusion in the Work Programme that had been received from the following stakeholders:
· Consultation with Strategic Directors and Cabinet Members;
· The Council’s Overview and Scrutiny Panels;
· Consultation with Partners;
· Correspondence to all Head Teachers;
· Consultation with St Helens Healthwatch; and
· Press release.
Members were informed that since the last meeting of the
Commission, each Scrutiny Panel had met with Chief Officer and
Portfolio Holders to discuss and agreed topic areas as part of the
Scrutiny Work Programme for 2018/2019. These were detailed in the
report at Paragraph 4.4.
Since publication of the agenda a number of additional topics had been received. A report was tabled to Members listing the additional topics identified.
was noted it was important that the Work Programme also allowed
sufficient space to accommodate one off reviews and any urgent
topics that may arise during the year.
(1) the report be noted;
(2) the Overview and Scrutiny Commission agreed the Scrutiny Work Programme 2017/2018.