Venue: Room 9 - Town Hall
Contact: Kelley Dunne
Appointment of Chairman
* Resolved that Councillor Mussell be appointed as Chairman for this meeting of the Committee.
Councillor Mussell here took the Chair.
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Bowden, Dyer, Haw and Murphy.
* Resolved that the minutes of the meeting held on 19 February 2015, be approved and signed.
Declarations of Interest from Members
No Declarations of Interest from Members were made.
Exclusion of the Public
Recommended that the public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following item for the reason stated:
Item Reason (under the Local Government Act 1972)
5-7 Exempt information relating to applicants for financial assistance (Para. 3 of Schedule 12A)
* Resolved that the public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following item for the reason stated:
Minute Reason (under the Local Government Act 1972)
20-22 Information relating to any individual (Para 1 of
Income and Expenditure Projection for the Year Ending 31 March 2016
Accountant presented the Income and Expenditure Account for the
Year Ending 31 March 2016, outlining the foundations fund’s
current position and updating the Committee on the awards claimed
for the 2014/15 academic year.
Applications Received by the Sarah Cowley Committee Since 2005/06
At the meeting of
this Committee held on 19 February 2015, Members resolved that a
report on the number of applications received by year be brought to
the next meeting of this Committee for consideration.
· a declining number of applications received each academic year from 39 in 2005/06 to 8 in 2014/15;
· historically fewer applications considered by the Committee held in February than the meeting previously held in November; and
· a declining level of income over the last decade from a peak of £9,523 in 2007/08 to £1,963 in 2014/15 (a decrease of approximately 80%)
informed that the Committee meetings held in November had been
moved to December in order to allow students commencing study in
September more time to understand and evaluate the costs associated
with their courses however this had not increased the number of
(2) the Committee move to a single annual meeting to be held in December;
(3) a review of the current application procedure be undertaken to determine whether the application form can be revised and/or information requirements reduced without significantly affecting the integrity of the process; and
(4) a dedicated page on the Authority’s website continue to be maintained to promote the fund and market the opportunity directly with appropriate local schools and colleges.
Applications for Financial Assistance
Accountant and the Senior Accounting Technician presented the
applications to Members.
the report be noted;
the applications be
dealt with as set out below: