Venue: Room 8
Contact: Mrs KM Howard 01744 67(6106)
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for Absence were received from Councillors Baines, CD Banks and Pearson.
* Resolved that the minutes of the meeting held on 20 March 2017, be approved and signed.
Declarations of Interest from Members
No Declarations of Interest from Members were made.
A report was submitted which detailed the Terms of Reference for the Health and Adult Social Care Overview and Scrutiny Panel as follows:
The Panel shall undertake the functions delegated by the Commission, and in particular:
• To consider and scrutinise items relating to the provision of adult social care in the Borough
• To consider and scrutinise items relating to the provision of health services including public health in the Borough, in accordance with relevant legislation.
• To review items relating to the operation of adult social care and health services identified in 1 and 2 and their performance, as selected by members of the Panel, or referred to them by the Overview and Scrutiny Commission or the Cabinet.
• To engage with, and respond to, formal and informal NHS or Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) or relevant health providers’ consultations in relation to any proposal for a substantial development of the Health Service in St. Helens or for a substantial variation to such services.
• In undertaking this role
the Panel is able to question members of the Cabinet and/or Chief
Officers, and/or representatives of relevant Health bodies,
including CCG representatives and the People’s Board
regarding their decisions, performance in relation to service
operations and targets.
• To contribute to Joint Health Scrutiny Committees reviewing consultations by NHS bodies or Health Service providers on cross border changes to services.
• To exercise the right following call-in to review and, where appropriate, ask for reconsideration of decisions made but not yet implemented by, the Cabinet or Council.
• To receive and have regard for Councillor Calls for Action within the remit of the Panel.
• To receive and respond to referred items from Healthwatch in accordance with national regulations.
• To provide regular updates on the Panel’s work plan to the Overview and Scrutiny Commission.
• To produce final reports of all reviews undertaken and monitor and evaluate progress of recommendations as appropriate.
• To make representations to the Cabinet, and Council if necessary, on any issues or areas of concern arising from the overview and scrutiny process.
* Resolved that the Terms of Reference be noted.
A draft report was submitted to the Panel and outlined by Councillor Mussell, Member of the Task and Finish Group, which updated Members on the Scrutiny Review of Infant Feeding Strategy 2016-2019.
The report detailed the background and scope, methodology, findings, conclusions and recommendations of the review.
Panel discussed the report.
(1) the draft report be noted; and
Update on Scrutiny Work Programme 2017/2018
The Scrutiny Team had invited stakeholders to suggest topics for inclusion on the Work Programme 2017/2018. Consultation had been undertaken with Chief Officers, Cabinet Members, Councillors, the Council’s Overview and Scrutiny Panels, via the Council’s Website and Intranet, the boroughs Head Teachers and St Helens Healthwatch.
Members were requested to make any further suggestions.
Members proposed the following work areas:-
· Support for Adult Carers
· Drug and Alcohol Service (Transition)
· Support for middle aged adults (30-50’s) with disabilities
· Mental Health Referrals (5 Boroughs, Peasley Cross and Mind Matters)
· Review on the impact of Adult Health and Social Care budget decisions taken in 2016/17
· Safeguarding and Vulnerable Adults
· Discharge Planning
· In Home Care for Elderly
· ‘St Helens Cares’ Model and Commissioning
· Autism Pathway Transition from Child to Adult
· Employability Options and Support for Adults with Autism
· Adult Community and Health Outcomes
The 2017/18 Scrutiny Work Programme would be finalised at the next meeting of the
Overview and Scrutiny Commission to be held on 17 July 2017.
* Resolved that:
the report be noted; and
(2) an update report on Employment of People with Learning Disabilities be brought to the next meeting of this Panel scheduled for 11 September 2017.