Venue: Room 10
Contact: Mrs KM Howard 01744 676106
Webcast: View the webcast
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Grunewald, Haw and McQuade and Mr D Thorpe.
* Resolved that the minutes of the meeting held on 1 October 2018, be approved and signed.
Declaration of Interest from Members
No Declarations of Interest from Members were made.
A report was submitted which updated the Overview and Scrutiny Commission on Key Decisions that the Cabinet expected to make.
A brief description of the Key Decision had been included in the report for Members to consider and identify any issues of particular relevance to be taken into account in the key policy/strategy reviews.
A Public Notice of Key Decisions published on 11 December 2018 was attached at Appendix 1 to the report.
* Resolved that the report be noted.
the meeting of the Overview and Scrutiny Commission held on 4 June
2018, in order to comply with Section 15 of the Local Government
and Housing Act 1989 and to make appointments to those seats in
accordance with Section 16, the Commission considered the
allocation of seats on the various Panels of the Overview and
Subsequently, in December 2018, Councillor J Banks was appointed
as Cabinet Member for Better Health, the result of which required
her to step down as a Panel Member of the Health and Adult Social
Care Panel; thus leaving a Chairman vacancy on this Panel.
* Resolved that Councillor D Banks be appointed as Chairman for the Health and Adult Social Care Panel.
· Councillor D Long, Leader of the Council and Mike Palin, Chief Executive have been invited to attend the meeting.
Chief Executive, Mike Palin had been invited to the meeting to give
a presentation to Members on the
Economy Board, the Leader of the Council, Councillor D Long was
also present at the meeting for this item.
As part of the update report to the Commission, a presentation was given to Members which detailed the following:
· Perception is Wrong…
· Haydock Green;
· Movianto End User;
· Florida Farm;
· Additional Development;
· Parkside Phase 1;
· Mere Grange Extension;
· The Plan – The Core itself;
· Linkway West / Bowling Alley and Leisure Complex;
· Waterside Urban Village – St Helens South;
· Vulcan Works – Newton le Willows;
· Moss Nook – St Helens South;
· Sutton Industrial Site – St Helens South; and
· Cowley Works – St Helens North.
Commission raised questions which were answered at the meeting in
relation to the Economy Board’s membership and its further
growth and integration, scrutiny’s role and on the
sustainability and future plans for the use of Council officer and
administrative support for the Board.
* Resolved that:
the update and presentation be noted;
a further update be brought to a future meeting of the
(3) the Chief Executive and Councillor D Long be thanked for their attendance at the meeting.
Overview and Scrutiny Commission was encouraged to review the work
programme on a regular basis to ensure it remained timely and
An update on the Work Programme 2018/19 was outlined within the report.
* Resolved that the report and verbal updates be noted.
Budget 2018 - 2020
· Verbal update to clarify the Commission's approach to scrutiny of the budget 2018 - 2020
As part of the Annual Scrutiny Work Programme the Overview and Scrutiny Commission considers the Council’s Budget. This includes reviewing its budget strategies, budget reports and Portfolio Spending Plans.
The Scrutiny Manager informed
the Overview and Scrutiny Commission that the Provisional Portfolio Spending Plan for 2018/19 was
to be considered at the meeting of the Cabinet held in January
* Resolved that the proposal and timescales for the Scrutiny review of the Council’s Budget be agreed.