Venue: Room 10
Contact: Mrs KM Howard 01744 676106
Webcast: View the webcast
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillor J Johnson and Mr D Thorpe.
* Resolved that the minutes of the meeting held on 7 January 2019, be approved and signed.
Declaration of Interest from Members
No Declarations of Interest from Members were made.
report was submitted which updated the Overview and Scrutiny
Commission on Key Decisions that the Cabinet expected to
A brief description of the Key Decision had been included in the report for Members to consider and identify any issues of particular relevance to be taken into account in the key policy/strategy reviews.
Public Notice of Key Decisions published on 21 January 2019 was
attached at Appendix 1 to the report.
* Resolved that the report be noted.
· Councillor A Johnson, Cabinet Member Collaborative Services and the Strategic Director of Corporate Services have been invited to attend the meeting.
The Strategic Director Corporate Services and
Senior Assistant Director Accountancy and Financial Management had
been invited to the meeting to present the Budget 2019/2020.
The Commission raised questions
which were answered at the meeting in relation to the use of budget
reserves, the ongoing impact of increasing demand in People’s
Services in particular children and young people on the Council
budget and management of this, council tax base calculations and
housing building in the borough, Yorkshire purchasing and Parkside
as revenue streams, the impact of the street lighting upgrade and
if there had been efficiency savings from this and if there had
been announcements regarding both business and levy
the reports be noted;
the Strategic Director Corporate Services and Senior
Assistant Director Accountancy and Financial Management
be thanked for their attendance at the
(3) the information requested regarding the Street Lighting upgrade and energy bill be provided to the Commission.
St Helens Cares - Update on Progress and Achieved Outcomes
· Sarah O’Brien, Strategic Director People's Services / Clinical Accountable Officerhas been invited to attend the meeting.
presentation was given by the Strategic Director, People’s
Services / Clinical Accountable Officer which gave an update on the
vision and strategic directives for St Helens Cares.
presentation outlined the following:
· St Helens Cares Visions and Outcomes;
· Milestones to date;
· Key Initiatives;
· What Difference is being made for people;
· System Impact; and
next steps would involve a move towards 24/7 services in Contact
Cares and strengthen links with Children’s Services. There
would be a focus on locality working and to establish a provider
board and five areas of focus.
was agreed by the Commission that the progress reported within the
presentation was a positive step forward for health care provision
in the borough however; the importance in ensuring that transport
network links were now considered and created to support the health
care developments within the borough was highlighted.
(1) the presentation be noted;
(2) the Strategic
Director, People’s Services / Clinical Accountable
Officerbe thanked for her attendance
at the meeting;
(3) information be provided to the Commission on the
timeframe for implementation of the Children Hub’s;
(4) a report on respiratory illness, particularly within children in the borough be brought back to a future meeting of the Commission;
(5) a report on the impact of the adoption and implementation of the St Helens Cares model on the previously projected £80m funding gap in 2020 be brought to a future meeting of the Commission once complete;
(6) Members comments regarding transport issues and Councillors becoming Mental Health First Aiders be feedback by the Strategic Director, People’s Services / Clinical Accountable Officer; and
(7) the Overview and Scrutiny Commission and its Panels assist with the Democratic Stewardship of St Helens Cares where appropriate.
Update on Scrutiny Work Programme 2018/19
There were no updates to report.